Friday, September 28, 2012

Crotone and Casarossa

Siracusa! I have been here for 5 full days and am on my 6th. Good to finally meet all two members of my host family, who are absolutely fantastic, and see where I will be living for a year. I also started school just a few days ago, but this will not be the topic of this post. I will wait until I get more settled in and have a better grasp of what school is like. In this post I am going to talk about my last week on my school trip. 

We were in the city of Crotone. The resort that we were staying at was Casarossa. There were only a handful of other guests besides my class. I think that the resort season is over here. I think this not only because there wasn't an abundance of guests, but also because it was beginning to feel colder. More like fall.

A typical day in the resort went as follows. Wake up at eight and eat breakfast. Then until lunch learn various skits/dances. The reason for learning these was that at the end of the week my classmates and I were going to put on a show for the few other guests and the employees of the resort. After lunch and a short siesta (nap), we did more preparing for the show. Then dinner and an hour long classroom like session. During which my classmates learned what it takes to run a resort like Casarossa. This was my first taste of wat school was going to be like. Sitting quietly out of the way trying to fill the time with interesting thoughts, and trying not to look overly bored. Luckily it was only an hour. This daily routine went on for the next few days, with a few minor variances in each day.

One variance that I would like to talk about is following dinner one evening me and Sebino watched a football (soccer) match. It was between Chelsea and Juventus. Juventus is Sebino's favorite team, and for those of you who don't know Italians and soccer, they don't take it very lightly.  An example of this was as the teams were walking out onto the field I made a joke that I was going to be supporting Chelsea. Sebino looked at me, and even though I was smiling and laughing, he just shook his head, looked disappointed and let his gaze return to the game. It ended in a 2-2 draw. Juventus had come back from being 2 goals down, scoring their second in the 80th minute. (out of 90) Making the game very exciting. Sebino didn't seem too disappointed in his team afterward, which was a bit surprising. 

The game occurred two days before the the show. The show was an interesting and new experience for me. It was very different from the show I had preformed in at the previous resort. Although it was smaller scale show I had a much larger role preforming in two dances and two skits. I also had to say one line in Italian. I was most nervous about this. The show went well I only made a few fairly unnoticeable mistakes while dancing, and I think that I pronounced my one line well enough for the audience to grasp the meaning. I enjoyed being a part of the show, but let's just say I don't think that being a performer is my calling. 

The next morning was the seven hour bus ride back the Siracusa. A very picturesque drive at some points I may add. I will post about my experiences here in Siracusa next time. Ciao for now! 

Crotone at night 

Just before the show started 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment